Exercise can be a massive source of frustration for people trying to lose weight. Sometimes people choose to workout as a way to lose weight but end up putting a damper on their weight loss efforts. There are many exercises you can do that are low impact and will still help you lose weight.
Here are the following best low-intensity exercises that you should try:
- Swimming – It is one of the lowest-intensity training you can do and is aerobically and cardiovascularly ideal for most people. It also functions well as a high-intensity activity for shorter time periods. Swimming is a great exercise for burning calories and losing weight, and you can do laps in the pool or, if you prefer, swim laps in an indoor pool or open one.
- Group Cycling – Group cycling is one of the many types of low-intensity exercises which you can do to lose weight and build endurance. You can experience the benefits of group cycling if you attend classes or simply ride on your own. Group cycling lessons, as opposed to indoor cycling classes, are enjoyable group activities where you can learn to bike with others.
- Pilates – Pilates is one of the most popular forms of physical exertion in the world. It is beneficial for people of all ages and levels of fitness. The exercise helps you improve your posture, tone your body and lose weight. Pilates is one of the best low-intensity workout sessions that you can try. It is also known as the mind-body movement, which is a type of workout that focuses on physical fitness and mental health. It combines a series of deep breathing with controlled movements and targets muscles, including the core, arms, legs, and buttocks.
- Yoga – Yoga can help you lose weight, tone your whole body, and improve your balance, but most people don’t know that yoga is also one of the best low-intensity routines you can do. Most yoga moves are slow, which makes them perfect for beginning exercisers. And as you practice yoga, you can work up to more intense poses, like arm and leg lifts, planks and push-ups, lunges, and jumps, which can strengthen and tone muscles.
- Walking – Walking is the easiest and most accessible form of physical activity. And according to the American Heart Association, walking is one of the best low-intensity exercises you can try. You can walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes to burn up to 300 calories, or you can walk at a “conversational” pace for about 45 minutes to burn up to 400 calories. And best of all, you don’t need any special equipment, other than a good pair of walking shoes!
- Dancing – In terms of low-intensity exercise, dancing is one of the best. Dancing is a fun way to burn calories, lose weight, improve fitness, and reduce stress. Most forms of dancing are low-impact, but there is evidence that dancing at a moderate or high intensity can strengthen bones, muscles, and connective tissue.
- Aqua classes – Aqua fitness has only been around for a few decades. Still, it has quickly become one of the most popular forms of exercise, with an estimated 50 million Americans participating in aqua fitness every year. It is a low-impact activity that burns calories, lowers your risk for heart disease, and strengthens your cardiovascular system. Plus, you don’t have to deal with any of the annoyances that come with traditional land workouts, like finding a place to park or getting gym memberships.
- Rowing – Rowing should be on your list if you are looking for a low-intensity exercise. The rowing machine is easy on the joints but burns an impressive amount of calories. One study revealed that rowing burns more calories per minute than any other exercise. So, if you are looking to shed some pounds, rowing may be your best bet.
- Light jogging – The best low-intensity exercise for losing weight and increasing your heart rate is a light jog. Jogging is a low-intensity workout to do, and if you do it regularly, it will help you increase your aerobic fitness. It can help you burn more calories and lose weight faster than other workouts. You don’t have to spend hours of your day at the gym or hit the pavement. You can jog in as little as 10 minutes a day. Besides, you don’t have to jog at a steady pace either. Even a quick 5-minute walk can help burn fat and build muscle.
Low-intensity exercises can be good for you since they can increase your heart rate. Low-intensity exercises are also good for your mind. Workout has been shown to reduce stress levels, anxiety, and depression. Low-intensity sessions are also easier on the joints, so overweight people who haven’t exerted their muscles in a while can ease back gently. Low-intensity exercise is also easy to fit into everyday life. You don’t have to worry about buying expensive equipment, scheduling classes, or dealing with crowded gyms.